Groups and Clubs
For specific information about activities happening this month, check out the event calendar.
- Daytime Book Club
- The morning book club is a great way to share your love of reading, gather recommendations, venture into books you might not otherwise choose, and spend time with friends new and old. Our 10 AM to noon meetings, held the fourth Wednesday of every month, rotate among members’ homes. Volunteering to host and selecting books, both fiction and non-fiction, is done at our first fall meeting. For each chosen month and book, the host provides light refreshments and leads the discussion. It’s a fun and interesting way to learn about authors, expand your understanding of the stories and characters, pick up on nuances you might have missed, and, in the case of books you hated to end, savor their pleasure a little longer. New members are always welcome anytime of the year. Please email Jane if you would like more information.
- Check out the list of recommended books and our Morning Book Club Archive.
- Evening Book Club
- We meet on the third Monday evening of every month at 7pm in a member’s home. Book selection is done at the first meeting in the fall and every host picks a book. Laura can answer any questions you might have.
- Check out the list of recommended books and our Evening Book Club Archive.
- We have Ladies’ Social Bridge and Couples’ Duplicate Bridge, each meeting once per month. We welcome anyone who would like to play – as a single or a couple! Please email Rosalind if you are interested in playing Ladies’ Social Bridge. Mary Beth will answer your questions about Couples’ Duplicate Bridge.
- Family Activities
- We are delighted to have so many families involved in our playgroups. This year we are offering many different playgroups in order to accommodate the schedules of working and non-working parents. If you are interested in joining a playgroup, please contact Treacey. We will do our best to place you in a group with children of similar age and availability. Several holiday themed events are in the works as well so look for those evites! If you would like to host or help with planning please email Treacey if you are interested in joining a playgroup!.
- Community Support
- The Community Giving Tree is a non-profit organization that provides baby equipment, clothing, books, toiletries, winter coats, school supplies, toys and other goods to 20 local charities that distribute them to struggling families. Newcomers & Natives helps out with different charity drives and activities throughout the year. In the past, we have filled backpacks with school supplies for children in September, collected winter clothing in December, and filled baskets for new moms in May. Learn more about the current collection drive and what you can do to help by contacting Donna.
- Drinks ‘n Snacks
- Drinks ‘n Snacks will be planning many fun evenings for the 2012-2013 Newcomers and Natives season. For those who are new to either Drinks ‘n Snacks or Newcomers and Natives, here’s a little background: Drinks ‘n Snacks is a low-key, informal night out. The hostess provides the drinks and everyone brings either an appetizer or dessert, we assemble in someone’s home, and just enjoy each other’s company. About one week before the date an rsvp e-mail will be sent out. You respond if you can come, indicating whether you’ll be bringing an appetizer or dessert, and how many in your party will be drinking alcoholic beverages. The cost varies between $10 per drinker and $20 per drinker ($20 is for the evenings when we enjoy slightly more expensive wines!) That’s it! If you have any questions or are interested in hosting one of our evenings, email Deb.
- Friendship Meals
- Newcomers and Natives Friendship Meals Program is offering delicious dinners to members who have recently had a surgery, illness or a new baby and could use a few home cooked meals for their families. If you have an upcoming surgery or a baby on the way, we can arrange this for you in advance. If you find yourself unexpectedly in need, we can supply a few great meals on short notice, too. We will do our best to deliver meals that can be eaten on those days or frozen for later. For more information about providing or receiving a meal, send an email to Paula. We will send you a brief questionnaire on which you may choose four meals from our selection, as well as your preferred dates.
- Ladies Night Out
- We visit a new and interesting venue each month. Some recent examples are restaurants, art classes, and theater. Send an email to Ebba to come join us.
- Men’s Poker
- This low pressure group meets on occasional Friday evenings and hosts an annual Texas No-Limit Hold-em Tournament to benefit a local charity. No previous poker experience required. For more information and to be put on the email list, email Daniel.
- This group is for knitters and needleworkers and meets once a month. Come work on your project and socialize. Contact Dotti for more information.
- Creative Nights
- Whether you are a super scrapper, someone who is just getting started and ready to dive into your first scrapbooking project, or even just interested in seeing what scrapbooking is all about, then this group is for you! No crafting skills required. Join us for some fun, as we share scrapping ideas and help each other get started. Contact Nikki & Meredith for more information.
- The Newcomers & Natives Walkers recently took a trip to Rockport, MA, for a hike at Halibut Point State Park and breakfast at The Greenery Restaurant, that overlooks Motif #1 in Rockport Harbor.
Join us every morning, Monday through Friday at 7:35 in front of the Community Center (yellow house by Wayne’s) in East Boxford for an hourly neighborhood fitness walk. Very informal and fun! We avoid rain, snow, and frigid temps. For more information contact Ileana. Our scheduled group walks are on hiatus for June, July, and August. Have a great Summer!